Student Counsellor Placements
For counselling students interested in a placement with us we offer the opportunity to work with a minimum of four clients per week in a professional and supportive environment. Our mentoring scheme appoints experienced counsellors to provide additional support to all new volunteers. The scheme has proved to be very popular with both mentors and mentees. We provide monthly group supervision and offer regular training and assessment opportunities.
Our volunteers are required to:
“I started my placement at Care To Listen in 2014 as a first year Diploma student. I have now completed 70 client hours and I have now have an opportunity to complete client assessments. I have enjoyed excellent supervision and have felt fully supported during my time at the Care To Listen. I thoroughly recommend this placement opportunity.”
Felicity, Care To Listen
Provide a current enhanced DBS disclosure (we can help with this if needed)
- Hold membership of a professional body i.e. BACP
- Engage in individual supervision
- Provide a reference from their current or most recent tutor
- Be enrolled on a BACP accredited course and working towards a recognised qualification or hold a recognised counselling qualification and be working towards accreditation
- Have professional indemnity insurance
- Be able to commit to the Service for a minimum of 2 years
- Have been in personal therapy for at least 1 year.
As a current or future counsellor with us it is important that you are familiar with our Governance and Policy Documents. On commencing your placement with us you will receive our counsellor handbook and operational policy. These provide information about our policies and ways of working. You will also be expected to attend an induction session to learn about our administration and IT procedures.
Care To Listen hold two recruitment days each year, the first in January and the second in September.
We will only accept applications from volunteer counsellors looking for placements in November/December (for the January intake) and July/August (for the September intake)